Tanslation: * We speak to the students always and in every situation only in Catalan
* We demand from students inside and outside the school to contact us only in Catalan
* Use textbooks and materials only when written in Catalan
* Check that all scripts (appointments, controls and works) are done in Catalan.
IES (Instituto Educación Secundaria = 2nd education level) Pau Casesnoves is a school in the village of Inca on the Baleric Islands. Their intention is to erradicate Spanish completely.
What does the Statute of the Autonomous Community of the Balearic Islands (Statute = Constitution) stipulate?
Article 4 reads:
1. The Catalan language, which is the real language of the Balearic Islands, together with Castellano is the official language.
2. Everyone has the right to know and use them and no one is allowed to be discriminated against because of his language.
3. The authorities of the Balearic Islands guarantee the normal use of the two languages, take the necessary measures to ensure their knowledge and create conditions that allow the complete equality of the two languages with respect to the rights of the Balearic citizens.
You do not have to be a lawyer to understand that the demands of this school are in stark contrast to the Balearic Constitution. Of course, this request is in sharp contrast to the Spanish Constitution, too, but that does not matter to the separatists anyway. They dream of a great Catalan empire, the „Països Catalans“. These include not only the Balearic Islands, but also Valencia, parts of Sardinia and southern France.
Now some will wonder if this is a single case. It is not. El Mundo reports today:„We'll never speak Spanish in front of the students.' The phrase appears in the linguistic project of the Escola Ferran Sunyer in Barcelona and synthesizes the strategy followed in most Catalan schools to avoid at all costs the use of Spanish in classrooms, corridors, patios, dining rooms, teacher's rooms and other school facilities. Teachers' communication with students - and also with their parents - must always be in Catalan. In the linguistic project of the Escola La Renaixença of Manresa it is said: 'In a bilingual conversation the teacher will not abandon the Catalan language to guarantee the familiarization of the Spanish-speaking students in another language'. And in the Escola Doctor Joaquím Salarich de Vic it appears: 'In order to promote positive attitudes towards the use of the language it is necessary that the teachers use the Catalan language to communicate with the students also outside the classroom'.“
Against this separatist madness we can amongst other demands claim that the parents should decide on the language of instruction of their children and not the governments nor the school management. That's what you call democracy.